Rolling coverage of the latest economic and financial news
- Latest: Mark Carney is facing MPs now
- Carney: Rates would rise after smooth Brexit...
- ...but no-deal could require more stimulus
- Introduction: Oil and bitcoin rally in nervous markets
- Bitcoin smashes through $12,000 to a 15-month high
Q: Are low interest rates allowing an army of zombie firms to “stagger on”, endangering financial stability, asks Steve Baker MP.
Bank of England policymaker Michael Saunders isn’t too worried. He says the number of firms with low profits compared to their interest payments are stable. Yes, there would be more of them if interest rates were higher -- but that could also drive firms to the wall, hurting the wider economy (and creating another wave of zombies).....
Q: Young people are growing up in an era where interest rates have been extremely low for a decade - isn’t that a problem for the future?
Umbrella’s don’t cause rain, shoots back Mark Carney (quoting his MPC colleague Gertjan Vlieghe)Continue reading...
From our friends over at the : Business | The Guardian
You can see the Full Story: Click Here